Long term bike storage (also referred to as Class I Bicycle Parking) is meant for building occupants or visitors who will use the space for more than 2 hours, on average.
Typically, these areas are located indoors to provide a greater amount of protection from outdoor environments, as well thieves/vandals.
A bike room is an application of bike storage and a growing trend in many residential and business facilities.
Alternatively, bike parking (also referred to as Class II Bicycle Parking) is commonly designated for scenarios where parking is only needed for the short term - typically less than 2 hours.
Bike parking is usually outside, with more exposure to elements that make the solution less secure.
- Bike storage: Long-term bike parking with increased security.
- Bike parking: Short-term bike parking with basic security.
For a comprehensive overview of creating effective bike storage areas that maximize the number of bicycles that can be parked in the space, view the Madrax Bike Storage Guide.
Whether you need enough indoor bike storage to store 5, 15, 50 or more than 100 bicycles, like most successful projects, the best way to get started is to begin with the end in mind.
The key to creating dynamic bike storage areas comes down to knowing your goals. Essentially you want to determine what you'd like to accomplish with your bike storage area.
- Do your building plans have set-aside area for bike storage and you just want to have as many parking spots as possible?
- Are there local codes requiring a specific number of bicycle storage spots you need to meet?
- Will the bike storage area will be an amenity your property needs to have in order to be competitive in your market?
Whatever your goal, keeping it in mind will help you evaluate options and make the best decisions for this project.
Especially when it comes to bike storage racks. There are many styles designed specifically for bicycle storage. Each offers different ways to take advantage of the available space.
Then it’s a matter of making your vision work within the parameters of your local municipal codes and makeup of the site itself.
Bike storage can be a big project to tackle. Don’t feel like you need to do it alone. We can help solve any challenges you have.